lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev identifying config/version info

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev identifying config/version info
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:25:32 +0900 (JST)

> > in a production distribution, i.e., by default it should not be
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > compiled in, or it should be stripped out at release time.
[...]                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ones who need it the MOST. A developer will know about trace and
> makefiles, etc. and seldom will need the info provided by these
> features. However, a user, particularly on a large system where they
> don't even know who built lynx ,are the ones who need this info when
> reporting problems.

No *user* "needs" debugging information. Concerned developers want
it. A _release_ is stable and essentially bug-free, ideally, to be
sure. Despite your argument, I still question the effectiveness of the
configuration information in tracking down a bug in what is already a
released version and probably way behind the present development version
(= out-of-date and supported with lukewarm enthusiasm).

__Henry