lynx-dev

Subj: Using an actual VT100 connected to a PC

From: John Schweppe
Subject: Subj: Using an actual VT100 connected to a PC
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:50:36 -0800

Hello Mr. Dickey,

My name is John Schweppe.  I am a software developer at Citibank.  We are
currently looking for a text browser solution for one of our projects.  We
need to find a Win32 (NT 4.0) text browser who's user interface is a VT100
connected via RS232 to a PC.

Background
================================
Citibank's ATMs (client terminal) started out as a UNIX based box, close to
20 years ago.  The system and administrative functions of the ATM were
handled by a VT100 to monitor operational status, view transaction journals,
perform proofing and other functions.  In the mid 90s, Citibank migrated
their ATMs to the NT platform.  The VT100 interface still needed to be
supported to perform these operations.

Software was written on the NT platform to communicate with the VT100 (via
RS232 serial communications) to provide the same capability as was found on
the UNIX based ATM.

Citibank is currently revising their user interface to include an HTML
browser presentation to the customer display.  The browser based approach
seems to make sense for the sys admin user interface as well.  However, the
consumer bank may not want to go through the expense to get rid of all their
VT100 terminals in lieu of a graphical browser platform (e.g. a PC).

The approach is to use the existing physical interface (VT100 over RS232).
The thought is to adapt the Lynx text browser software to send the text
characters via RS232 to the VT100 instead of to NT's console window.

Current LYNX Observations
====================================
I downloaded the source and started looking through it.  It appears that the
effort to modify the lynx browser to accomplish the task mentioned above may
be pretty involved.  In addition, our development unit uses Microsoft Visual
C++ as our development platform and would necessitate the project to built
under this compiler.  It appears that porting Lynx to MSVC++ has not been
successful (after reading various lynx-dev email).

Request
====================================
The effort to implement this functionality could be relatively trivial,
however, our Citibank developers are being kept quite busy with other
development tasks at hand.

It was suggested that the effort could be done outside Citibank.  If you or
anyone you know may be interested in providing this effort, I would be
interested in hearing from you.

My email addresses are:
     [[work]] address@hidden
     [[home]] address@hidden