lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:49:18 -0500 (EST)

990220 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 17-Feb-99 14:21 Philip Webb wrote:
>> so how exactly do the Russian & Ukrainian alphabets differ?
> make a diff -u koi8r-uni.tbl koi8u-uni.tbl
>> where do i find these? they don't seem to be in the 2-8-2 package.
> hint:  src/chrtrans/

hey, that's new!  fancy hiding it away in the  src  subdirectory!
apparently, Ukrainian adds  4  letters to Russian.

> I beleave you will find a very few reference to Slavic languages
> in the English dictionary, they probably have Greek in between.

grepping the OED is a bit too much to try, so i looked up the obvious:

czar tsar ... Romanized spellings of Russ. tsari, in Bulg. tsar king,
sovereign emperor, Serb. tsar emperor, Croatian, Boh., Pol. car
(= tsar, c in the Roman Slavonic orthography = &780; in Cyrillic,
being pronounced ts or German z). The Russian form is reduced
from earlier (11th c.) tsisari = OSlav. tsêsari,
                                 ^^^^^
in oblique cases tsisar-, `Cæsar, emperor, basileuj, king',
also (in latter senses) tsari. In Russian, the full form tsesari
is retained in the sense `Cæsar' and `(ancient Roman) emperor'.

NOTE: The Slav. word ultimately represents L. Cæsar, but came,
according to Miklosich, through the medium of a Germanic lang.
in which the word had the general sense `emperor': cf. Goth. kaisar,
OHG. keisar, OLG. kêsar, ONor. keysari, whence also Finnish keisari,
Esth. keiser, keisri.  For the change of Germanic k to c = ts in Slav.,
cf. [1]church.  The spelling with cz- is against the usage
of all Slavonic languages; the word was so spelt by Herberstein,
Rerum Moscovit. Commentarii 1549, the chief early source of knowledge
as to Russia in W Europe, whence it passed into Western Languages generally.
NOTE: In Russia it was partially used by the Grand Duke Ivan III, 1462-1505,
and by his son Basil or Vasilii, but was formally assumed by Ivan IV in 1547.

[ first known occurrence in English ]

* 1555 Eden Decades 290 [tr. Heberstein] Wheras now this prince is cauled
an Emperour, I haue thought good to shewe the tytle, and the cause
of this error. Note therefore that Czar in the Ruthens tounge signifieth
a kynge, wheras in the language of the Slauons, Pollons, Bohemes,
and other, the same woorde Czar signifieth Cesar
by whiche name Themperours haue byn commonly cauled.

[ ok, definitely off-topic by now, but it does mention Old Slavic ]