lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:51:15 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I'm not  familiar with all hte key bindings in line edit mode, but it seems to
> me a single keystroke could be found for invoking the editor on
> textarea.  Why not ^E (if that's not already taken).
> I agree that ^Ve is too much of a special case and prevents the
> user from being able to edit the document while sitting in a textarea.

^E is already taken for LYE_EOL (move cursor to end of line).  I don't
think we should change that, it's just too much a part of the
expected set of emacs-ish movement keys.

If we could find a key that isn't yet used in one of the lineedit bindings
(or is so obscure that nobody was using it), AND isn't one of the
"dangerous" or unusable keys (^S, ^Z, ...), AND is generally available to
most users, then implementing the binding would be simple (the
LYE_FORM_PASS from my patch should help).

I don't know whether there is one such key.  It pretty much has to be a
Control-something key, I think.  I didn't go through the list to find one.

Hmm, the "Insert" key isn't used in the line editor, it makes some kind of
sense to use it for "inserting" a file... but would be kind of unexpected.
Besides, that sounds more like the other function Kim is working on, for
inserting an existing file.  And not everyone has a working (or
recognized) "Insert" key.  And maybe "Insert" should be reserved anyway,
for when someone really wants to implement the "normal" function for it,
toggling between insert and overwrite mode (at least I think that's what
most people would expect).  So strike _this_ idea.

   Klaus