lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Opinions on importing a file into a TEXTAREA

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Opinions on importing a file into a TEXTAREA
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:03:26 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> Before I impliment the command to import a file directly into a
> TEXTAREA (without the use of an editor), I'd like to solicit some
> feedback on how that should work.
>
> In all cases, extra lines/anchors will be added to accomodate the
> length of the imported file, as needed.
>
> When imported, the file can:
>
>  1. Replace the TEXTAREA in its entirety, with the first line of
>     the file becomming the first line of the TEXTAREA.
>
>  2. Begin on the TEXTAREA line that the cursor is on when the cmd
>     is invoked, replacing it, and all lines below it, with the
>     file's contents.
>
>  3. Be inserted in between the TEXTAREA line just above the cursor
>     (if there is one), and the line that the cursor is on, at the
>     time the cmd is invoked.  None of the original TEXTAREA lines
>     are replaced.
> [ ... ]
> In all cases, there will be a trailing blank line at the bottom of
> the TEXTAREA, and with the other "gimee N new lines" cmd (to be
> provided), one can add text below the TEXTAREA as it exists at the
> time.

Number 3, please.  With the modification that it should only work
if the cursor is at the beginning of a line in the textarea.

Alternatively, number 1.  Then it's at least clear that using this
function always destoys data, not just some data some of the time.

> I personally favor 2), as it seems most logical to me.  3) might
> seem a better choice, but to my mind, if one wants to insert text in
> the middle of some existing TEXTAREA lines, they are better off to
> do so with the aid of an editor (^Ve).

Having an editor isn't even required.  Your new function may become
popular in situation where an editor is not an appropriate alternative.

> It is also likely in such
> cases, that they will want to insert some additional whitespace above/
> below the imported file, which would then require the use of an editor
> anyway.

But once you have the hypothetical "gimee N new lines" function, why
restrict its use to the end?

> [ ... ]
> As to usage, I would expect this feature to mostly be used when adding
> a "canned" chunk of text, such as a signature block, or something along
> those lines.

Then it shouldn't make non-undoable changes.  I imagine that fter I
type lots of stuff, I try to add my signature, only to discover that
it has replaced my text because I had scrolled back up which I was not
supposed to do.  That wouldn't be good.

   Klaus