lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev PATCH Fix for keybinding and statusline problem

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH Fix for keybinding and statusline problem
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:51:16 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, I wrote:

> lynxactions. Neither SLANG port displays characters > 0x80 normally
> in textedit mode. They appear as "~" plus a character representing
> (ch - 128), so decimal 129 appears as ~^A and 135 appears as ~^G. This
> only applies to display. They seem to be stored as single characters,
> and are removed with one delete or backspace. The PDCurses port shows
> these characters in the terminal's character set, regardless of the
> lynx settings for Display Character Set or Assumed Character Set.

I checked this some more. The SLang port handles the characters
correctly if the Display Character Set, Assumed Character Set, and the
actual terminal display all match. The ~^G display occurs when the
Display Character Set is set to ISO 8859-1 for an Assumed Character
Set of ISO 8859-1 (the character is not in the Character Set).
When both are set to cp437, the character displays correctly. This
translation doesn't occur with the PDCurses port in textedit mode.
The appearance in a rendering of a text file containing these cp437
characters also varies between the ports. The Slang port actually
seems more accurate. I haven't tried to use ncurses on DOS. If I
recall, there was a port to DOS reported in the last few months. Tom,
is this worth trying to install and test on DOS?
                                  Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)