lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Suspend behaviour

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Suspend behaviour
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:02:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Pak-San Man wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's the OS, or the way I compiled Lynx, or whatever.
>
> But when I do this on Lynx 2.8.1rel.2 (1998) on a Redhat 4.2 system, the
> behaviour becomes strange, and the only thing i can do is to "kill" the
> program.

You just messed a long thread on ^Z problems.  See the lynx-dev archives
for Jan and Feb, the subjects are obvious.

> I load up lynx (compiled about a week ago after an upgrade, source
> downloaded directly from www.slcc.edu) using a short
> "script", with the only line "~/lynx/2.8.1/lynx -cfg ~/lynx/lynx.cfg" in
> it.  The I suspend lynx with ^Z, and then "fg 1" it again.  When this has
> been done, the cursor becomes uncontrolled at the bottom of the screen.
> If I press "q" at this point, then the program exits.  If I press any
> other key, somehow the program drops back into shell mode (without telling
> me).  A "ps" shows me that lynx is still running:
>
> [...]
> 15725  ?  S    0:00 -bash
> 15795  ?  R    0:06 /home/pm243/lynx/2.8.1/lynx -cfg
> /home/pm243/lynx/lynx.cfg
> 15796  ?  R    0:00 ps
>
> but it cannot be fg'd anymore.

This doesn't sound exactly like one of the problems I found (I don't
know what you mean by "the cursor becomes uncontrolled"), but quite
close, maybe it really is the same thing.  I think I never tried
typing 'q'.  But try the "^Z again, fg again".

> Is this just a compilation problem?  I've removed the source from the
> computer, so can't check without going through all the userdef's and
> altering the Makefiles again.

I suggest you get a newer ncurses library and recompile.  If you can,
get the latest patches from <http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/>.
Tom has made changes recently there in response to the lynx-dev threads,
which should resolve most of the problems.  (I haven't tried they yet.)

   Klaus