lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Proxy Help

From: Trevor Astrope
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Proxy Help
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:23:46 -0500 (EST)

To follow-up on my own post... I solved the problem. There was some sort
of autoconfiguration script at work. By going to
http://fastweb.sympatico.ca/ I got a link to a script called hse which
showed the name of the various proxy cache servers for the different
subnet. I located the one for my subnet and set it in http_proxy and I'm
back in action!

My appologies for the premature post.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Trevor Astrope wrote:

> Hi, my adsl provider uses a proxy on port 80 and it doesn't seem to like
> lynx. My version is 2.8 Intel with ssl support on Red Hat Linux 5.1 with
> kernel 2.0.36.
>
> I set the http_proxy shell variable to the proxy server
> http://fastweb.sympatico.ca/pac/hse but I get 400 bad request errors when
> I try to access any site on the net. The IE 4.0 and netscape communicator
> browsers seem to work fine, however. They were only configured with the
> proxy url and no authentication settings.
>
> Here is what I get when I telnet to port 80 of fastweb.sympatico.ca and do
> a head (a get shows a bunch of script... if var, return type stuff). I
> tried spoofing the user-agent to be Mozilla, but this has no effect
> either.
>
> address@hidden astrope]$ telnet fastweb.sympatico.ca 80
> Trying 206.47.244.30...
> Connected to fastweb.sympatico.ca.