lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:56:51 -0800

Thanks for the very informative reply.

All is NOT lost -- but a lot is.

I went there, did an L page, visited from there two pages,
  . a main page for one of the manuals.
  . a subject-within-manual for that same manual.

And then redid the "L", and got this:

                                List Page (p1 of 2)

                                               List Page (Lynx Version
2.8.2dev.14)

   References in http://www.mutt.org/manual.html

     * [1]next
     * [2]next
     * [3]mailto:address@hidden
     * [4]next
     * [5]in next - ss1.1
     * [6]in next - ss1.2
     * [7]in next - ss1.3
     * [8]in next - ss1.4
     * [9]in next - ss1.5
     * [10]in next - ss1.6
     * [11]The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started
     * [12]in The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started - ss2.1
     * [13]in The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started - ss2.2
     * [14]in The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started - ss2.3
     * [15]in The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started - ss2.4
     * [16]in The Mutt E-Mail Client: Getting Started - ss2.5
     * [17]next
     * [18]in next - ss3.1
     * [19]in next - ss3.2
     * [20]in next - ss3.3
     * [21]in next - ss3.4
     * [22]in next - ss3.5
     * [23]in next - ss3.6
     * [24]in next - ss3.7
     * [25]in next - ss3.8
     * [26]in next - ss3.9
     * [27]in next - ss3.10
     * [28]in next - ss3.11
     * [29]in next - ss3.12
     * [30]in next - ss3.13
     * [31]in next - ss3.14
     * [32]in next - ss3.15
     * [33]in next - ss3.16
     * [34]in next - ss3.17
     * [35]in next - ss3.18
     * [36]in next - ss3.19
     * [37]in next - ss3.20
     * [38]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html
     * [39]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.1
     * [40]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.2
     * [41]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.3
     * [42]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.4
     * [43]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.5
     * [44]http://www.mutt.org/manual-4.html#ss4.6

NOTE that for this site, ALL of the manuals have the
SAME "title": "next".

From my experience p(rinting) pages, MOST pages I print
seem to have the same situation -- all with the same
title (well, lots of them, anyway).  For sure, mostly
meaningless.

Anyway, once the urls have been changed to "next",
no way to tell one manual from another!  In fact,
you might think, from a QUICK glance at the above
L-page (had you visited ALL the separate manuals,
ALL presumably also named "next"), that there was only
ONE file to download.

There's no way out -- having a way to see all the URLs
is still essential.

David