lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev HTTP continuation lines

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTTP continuation lines
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:41:29 +0000 (GMT)

> If it's any consolation every other browser I know of has this problem,
> which made me think I was going mad for a while, but then I thought they
> must all be using the same reference code from W3C - so perhaps that is
> buggy.

You have to be careful because IE4 is notorious for ignoring content
type, and something I just read in, I think the NTBUGTRAQ, mailing
list, indicates that Netscape have had to follow suit, at least in as
much as using file extensions and the windows' registry, in preference
to the declared content type.  (IE4 is incapable of handling a plain text
specimen of HTML, because it assumes the server was misconfigured and
that what looks like HTML really is HTML not the source.)

So, if IE4 is ignoring the text/plain it is probably because of this bit
of policy brokeness, rather than because it is seeing the indendented
content-type line.

Given that the big 2 are ignoring them, content-types may soon become
unuseable.