lynx-dev

lynx-dev anonymous ftp to sol.slcc.edu discontinued

From: Personal
Subject: lynx-dev anonymous ftp to sol.slcc.edu discontinued
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:08:11 -0700 (MST)

Hi all. I am the administrator of sol.slcc.edu (www.slcc.edu) and today have
had to close the anonymous ftp site we have had. This happened due to hackers
on the net who kept hacking into our system to abuse our anon ftp site for
their warez sites. In the process, they have caused considerable trouble with
other parts of our system, including the http server that also serves lynx
needs.

Since the primary use of this system is for our web server, we have had to
make the decision to permanently close our anon ftp and eliminate the desire
of these hackers to mess with our site. This decision will likely cause some
difficulties for some lynx users, but should actually result in better
accessability using http (web) access to lynx software.

I have no plans or desire to close this site to lynx development nor to
close down the lynx files served by http. I hope that Lynx users will
continue to benefit from the files served here, and am happy to be able to
provide this service.

One note: the lynx information on www.slcc.edu is maintained by the developers,
not by me, and any questions concerning it should be asked here, where the
developers are. Questions sent to me concerning content of the lynx site will
only be delayed in reaching someone who can answer them.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!