lynx-dev

lynx-dev Referring to non-free documentation for non-free software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: lynx-dev Referring to non-free documentation for non-free software
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:45:26 -0500

When I wrote the rule about not referring to non-free documentation,
what I had in mind was documentation *for* free software.  I didn't
intend to say anything about documentation for things like proprietary
operating system platforms that a package runs on, and I've never
myself tried to avoid referring to that kind of thing.

But, as some of you have pointed out, the words I wrote don't
distinguish that case from the case of non-free documentation
for free software, which I had in mind.

So I rewrote the text as follows:

    A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, and it
    should not refer the user to any non-free documentation for free
    software.  The need for free documentation to go with free software is
    now a major focus of the GNU project; to show that we are serious
    about the need for free documentation, we must not contradict our
    position by recommending use of documentation that isn't free.

Given that there's so much disagreement among Lynx developers, I
expect you probably won't decide to join the GNU Project; I don't
think this change will affect your decision.  But since you've shown
me something unclear in my words, it's good for me to fix it anyway.