lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev help for real novices

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev help for real novices
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:30:45 -0500 (EST)

990121 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 21-Jan-99 01:35 Philip Webb wrote:
>> 990120 Larry Virden wrote:
>>> If you write the README words, I will try to take those words
>>> and locate the person responsible for the HTML page.
>> below is a patch for README, which i hope will be applied
>> to the README in 2-8-1rel.2 & (with 1st line changed) 2-8-2dev.15 ;
> No! It's not for README, it should probably fit for INSTALLATION,
> drop something like this near the top:
> "if you are MS Windows user and want just to install "lynx.exe"
> try "precompiled binaries"... from http://...";
> and a more direct wording near the top of "release" page:
> "for Windows and DOS users <a href="#dos">lynx.exe here</a>"

No too!! any novice is going to read README first: that's the idea!
we want to alert him/her straight away that it may not be his/her ideal;
we could put something in INSTALLATION too, but it seems excessive.
README has all the other basic stuff:
how to subscribe to lynx-dev, licensing, Y2K.
also NB: there are many more binaries than just for Windows/DOS.