lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:43:33 +0000 (GMT)

Bela wrote:

I'd certainly add my vote for keeping things as they are, however I'd
quibble one point:

> visited.  On the other hand, some sites use totally useless URL names
> and benefit a lot from conversion to titles.

A lot of sites also have totally useless titles, because they are rather
innconspicuous in the title bar of a GUI browser and may not show
at all for the individual frames of a frameset, and because most people
don't think clearly about how their page will show up in a search engine.

(Also, in at least some contexts, it is possible to provide the title
as an attribute of an A tag, in particular for non-HTML target pages
(surprisingly few people realise you can directly target images!).  I
don't know whether Lynx will use this title as an intermediate default
before using the URL.)