lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Can't retreive the source code

From: Jean-Pierre Radley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Can't retreive the source code
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:25:01 -0500

Ismael Cordeiro averred (on Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 09:14:10PM -0500):
| On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
|
| > I've connected seven times today with sol.slcc.edu.  Not one of the
| > connections retrieved more than 30K before dropping.
|
| Today I accessed sol.slcc.edu from two different systems and in the four
| times I got throughputs of 60-80 kbytes/second. Have you done a traceroute
| to see if there is a slow server in the way?

Come on!  I access files from California, Finland, Switzerland,
Illinois, Israel: all sorts of places, with consistent connectivity,
and little need to reconnect to grab large files.  But slcc just keeps
dropping the connection; I'd (perhaps) tolerate that IF it could honor
an FTP REST command; but it won't --- WHY NOT?

A traceroute to slcc from here shows return times hardly different from
that of anything else.  It isn't the timing that's a problem, it's the
inclination of slcc to drop connections on the floor.

--
Jean-Pierre Radley <address@hidden>  XC/XT Custodian   Sysop, CompuServe
SCOForum