lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev mime types?

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mime types?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:00:26 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, address@hidden said:

> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 21:46:08 -0800 (PST)
>
> Ok, but the problem when I do that is that Lynx says
> text/plain
>
> and I'm trying to download binary data..  Thus isn't this corrupting my data?
>
> Someone else mentioned that mimetypes were a *server* thing..  Ok, my

And someone yet else has corrected me that it's a server thing for
gopher and HTTP URLs, a client thing for file and FTP URLs.

Can you give an example of a misbehaving URL?

If it's an HTTP URL, you can do a HEAD request ("]" "l") or turn on
tracing with "^T" to see the headers the server sends.  If the server
says "text/plain", I concur with Klaus -- the server is broken --
complain about the server, not about Lynx.

-- gil