lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: cursor showing strangely on screen in newest version

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: cursor showing strangely on screen in newest version
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:45:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Michael Warner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > When I "j" down the screen, from one link to the next, the screen
> > shows it strangely, as a black rectangle maybe 6 chars wide.
> >
> > Sometimes at the left edge of the screen, sometimes at the right edge.

I don't understand that description at all.  What is "it"?

> > Here is the "=" page, to show the version of lynx:  (note: am doing this
> > on netcom.com, on the version set up by bill cheung (address@hidden):
> >

> >                                         Information about the current
> > document
> >
> >   Lynx 2.8.2dev.12 (26 Dec 1998) ([1]development version) - [2]compile time
> >                                    options                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                       ^^^^^^^

How about following that link, and checking for some unusual options?

> > File that you are currently viewing
> >
> >    Linkname: The Nando Times: Global
>
>       [...]
>
> > Any idea what might be the cause?
>
> A few clues - the W3C validator didn't seem to want to deal
> with the page, even after I supplied a DOCTYPE declaration, and
> using '*' (toggle-images, I think) fixed it for me.

And using my gettidy.sh script (see previous messages), I get

   1520 warnings/errors were found!

That makes the page a serious contender in the most-errors-per-page
contest...

> There was another problem discussed and patched, maybe a
> month or two ago?, that had pretty much the symptoms, if I
> remember rightly.  Something to do with link highlighting on
> one or more of the derived pages - history? visited? - under
> some circumstances.  Pretty vague, but I didn't follow it
> too closely.  Klaus probably knows, I think he played a
> leading role ....

I don't know if that has anything to do with it, since I don't
understand what the problem is.  But maybe Tom is on the right track.

   Klaus