lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Java Support

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java Support
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:28:50 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, John Hartunian wrote:

>Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:30:28 -0500
>From: John Hartunian <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: lynx-dev Java Support
>
>To whom it may concern,
>    Is there a possibilty that lynx will support java script, java applets
>etc... ?????

First of all, as you may or may not know, Java and JavaScript are completely
unrelated, and are just named similarly.  (I'd say it's intentional
confusion, but you could also make the argument that they're trying to be
(mentally) linked though they're unrelated, like IE & Windows..)

Since Lynx works on text-only computers, if there is a Java interpreter that
works on text-only computers, then it would theoretically be possible for
someone to do the work to have Lynx run the Java applets with such an
interpreter.

JavaScript is another matter, and is technically feasible.   There are even
freeware JavaScript interpreters out there.  Again, someone needs to
do the work to integrate one of those interpreters into Lynx, which,
according to previous discussion, would be a lot of work, because JavaScript
interpreters apparently are based upon a Netscape object model that Lynx
doesn't emulate.

However, don't let this dissuade you.  I personally would use JavaScript
and would help test any support, because there are several sites that I
either don't use or have to use a GUI browser with precisely because of
Lynx' lack of JavaScript support (such as my www.suretrade.com stock account,
and www.800.com)