lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)

From: Kari E. Hurtta
Subject: Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:44:57 +0200 (EET)

Bela Lubkin:
> brian j. pardy wrote:
>
> > IIRC, gethost[by]name() (whichever lynx uses, no source in front of me)
> > blocks when looking up a hostname, making it impossible to interrupt it.
> > That's why forking it away allows an interrupt.
>
> gethostbyname() comes from the BIND resolver library [dunno about under
> Windows or VMS].  In older 4.8/4.9 versions of the library, there are
> timeout parameters which can be modified.  Unfortunately, they're in an
> internal structure which isn't documented or intended to be exposed.
> (I'm talking about struct __res_state _res, fields "retrans" and
> "retry".)  I don't know whether this situation has changed in the
> current BIND 8.x versions.

yes. Sendmail uses lot of code like:

#if NAMED_BIND
        /* unless interactive, try twice, over a minute */
        if (OpMode == MD_DAEMON || OpMode == MD_SMTP)
        {
                _res.retrans = 30;
                _res.retry = 2;
        }
#endif

As far I know many have compiled sendmail with BIND 8.

Lynx is of course availabe much more systems that BSD (or Open Source)
Sendmail :-)

/ Kari Hurtta