lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Enquiry

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Enquiry
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:47:56 +0000 (GMT)

> I was searching the 'net for information about a shareware product
* which =
> supposedly allows dumb terminals access to the 'net via a browser.

Your question is rather confused.  Can I assume that you actually
mean "to" a browser and not "via" one, and that by net you
mean the world wide web and more specifically primarily
HTML documents accessed using HTTP?

I will also assume you really mean a vt100 type terminal (which
used not to be called dumb, in deference to ones that didn't allow
cursor positioning) or a PC emulating one, rather than
MS-DOS (MS-DOS can directly run PPP or SLIP and local telnet,
ftp, web etc. clients).

All the solutions I know of are freeware, not shareware, although
the public domain CERN line mode browser is probably only of
historic interest.  Many such uses will actually use a commercial
Unix or VMS as the operating system, but Linux or FreeBSD are also
suitable platforms - I think you will find most Linux distribution
CDs contain Lynx already.  I don't know of any shareware ones.

Generally, in this sort of context, when not asking for information
from a commercial supplier, it is best to state your underlying problem,
rather than ask about how to implement a tentative solutiion.  That
way people can weight the compromises better and may suggest a
completely different approach.