lynx-dev

lynx-dev Problems with Lynx 2.8rel.2 under AIX 3.2.5.1.

From: address@hidden
Subject: lynx-dev Problems with Lynx 2.8rel.2 under AIX 3.2.5.1.
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:04:42 -0600

I'm having a problem getting Lynx 2.8rel.2 to work under AIX 3.2.5.1 on an
RS/6000 550.  It compiles, installs, and executes just fine and it works
great for calling up local files via "file://localhost/"..., etc.  However,
when I try to access a web server on another machine on our LAN, it says
"Lookup up"..., etc. and just sits there forever (well, until I hit
[CTRL]+[C], anyway).  The other machine is call "chhnts1" and it's part of
a domain called "chh.dom".  It's IP address is 10.0.1.6.  The actual web
server is on port 8010 (not 80), but when I access port 80 on that web
server from a Windows 95 machine on our LAN running Microsoft Internet
Explorer 3.0 I get an error page generated by the web server (i.e. I get a
page, not a hang!)...  I've tried accessing the web server from Lynx with
the following URL's (all of which work from Internet Explorer):

http://chhnts1
http://chhnts1.chh.dom
http://10.0.1.6
http://chhnts1:8010
http://chhnts1.chh.dom:8010
http://10.0.1.6:8010

The web server is running on a Windows NT 4.0 Server (chhnts1).  The name
of the software is WinGate 2.1d.  WinGate is a web server and a proxy
server.  I've also tried setting up Lynx to use the WinGate proxy server so
I could access the Internet from the AIX machine (chhnts1 is connected to
the Internet through WinGate), but no matter what I've tried, I can't get
Lynx to call up anything except documents on the local host (the AIX
machine).

Anyway, I'm stuck.  Any help you could give me with getting Lynx to 1)
access chhnts1 via the LAN, and 2) access the Internet via the WinGate
proxy server on chhnts1 would be appreciated.  I suspect that if I can get
Lynx to access chhnts1 then I can get it to use WinGate to access the
Internet.

Some additional info.:

I have added the "www 80/tcp" and "www 80/udp" entries to the /etc/services
file on the AIX machine (if that matters).
I'm running DNS for the LAN on the AIX machine (not that that should matter
either).
The DNS works fine as does WinGate both as a web server and a proxy server
for all other applications on both of our AIX machines, or Windows NT
server, and all our Windows 95 workstations.
The Windows 95 workstations have no trouble accessing the Internet through
WinGate on chhnts1.
The Windows 95 workstations and both of the AIX machines have no trouble
accessing the Internet via FTP through WinGate on chhnts1, so I know the
AIX machines can work with WinGate.

That's all the relevant info. I have.  PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you,
Beam Davis (address@hidden)
Systems Analyst Coordinator
Baton Rouge Health Care Corporation
d/b/a Capitol Home Health

P.S. If the syntax for specifying another port (like 8010) is different
under Lynx than in my examples (which, as I said, work under Internet
Explorer), please let me know what the proper syntax for Lynx is as well.