lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynxexec

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynxexec
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:18:57 -0500 (EST)

981217 Klaus Weide wrote:
>> How do I get Lynx to recognise  ;  as a valid char?
> Simplest way: modify the function in question, in LYGetFile.c.
> Hard way: make a convincing argument to lynx-dev why changing the code
> to allow ';' generally in lynxexec:/lynxprog: would be good.

you missed the vigorous debate i provoked c 9809 re security (smile).
i maintained that security had been over-hyped as regards Lynx,
due primarily to its origin on a freenet for anonymous users,
which function was now affected a small minority of installations,
whose problems should not take up the time of ordinary Lynx developers,
let alone interfere with the convenience of normal users.
i argued that (1) the vast majority of remaining anonymous use is
at libraries or college campuses supported by taxpayers
who could easily afford to take the necessary precautions themselves,
& (2) the quite separate security problems with UNIX shared /tmp directories
do not in fact arise on a well-managed system like the one i use.

i have no wish to repeat the earlier debate, which is in the Archive,
but the same question does arise here: eg (as you quote) FM says at
 http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00429.html :
> The filter is maintained in accordance with the needs
> of David Trueman's freenet.
> I don't, offhand, see a reason for disallowing '&',
> but I'm reluctant to allow it be default without feedback from David.

apparently, we have one man in London who is being put to much inconvience
& another -- David Trueman -- whose current status is unknown,
unless he sees this & chooses to speak up.

basically, shouldn't we make Lynx refusal of  ;  subject to  -anonymous
or some other similar switch which freenet managers can invoke?
should we today be expecting normal users to hack the code
& rewrite many lines of their own scripts?