lynx-dev

Re: Change Bars [was Re: lynx-dev Re: What free manuals do we need?]

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: Change Bars [was Re: lynx-dev Re: What free manuals do we need?]
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:54:53 +0000 (GMT)

> Here is some text.  <INS>These</INS> <DEL>Words</DEL> should be different.

Handled correctly by IE 4.01, Amaya 1.3, Mozilla (8/12/1998 snapshot),
and recognised, but not prettily displayed, by Lynx 2.8 (a Win32 beta).

> "Netscape Lite 4.07/Export, 29-Sep-98" does not support INS or DEL.  I
> am not going to code for a feature which is unsupported by current
> popular browsers.

Unfortunately, the person who invented the font tag has a lot
to answer for in terms of destroying HTML's original aims and it
is going to take a long time before people start using it properly -
probably much longer than the time for NS 4 and IE 3 to become
totally obsolete, because too many pages are cut and pasted from
other pages by people who don't understand HTML and because authoring
tools lag behind HTML even more than browsers.

Also, unfortunately, the released versions of Netscape are at least
a year behind IE in their support of current HTML.

However, it is possible to write HTML which follows the spirit of the
language which works with both IE 4.01 and NS 4.05, by including <span
class="ins"> and <span class="del">, redundantly around the the <ins>
and <del>  Unfortunately, NS doesn't seem to support text decoration,
so the fall back has to be colours - I didin't check whether it supported
non-displayed text (for completely suppressing deletions).