lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:39:40 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Henry Nelson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:06:41 +0900 (JST)
> *** lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION.orig       Wed Dec  2 11:48:14 1998
> --- lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION    Wed Dec  2 12:05:01 1998
> ***************
> *** 61,74 ****
>       for appending to posted messages.
>
>   Step 5. (optional -- UNIX only)
> !     To add direct WAIS support, get the freeWAIS distribution from
> !     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";, and compile it.  The
> compile
> !     process will create the libraries you will need, wais.a and client.a.
> Edit
> !     the Makefile in the top level directory and add the library locations
> under
> !     the DIRECT WAIS ACCESS heading.  Edit the Makefile for the WWW Library
> in
> !     "WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile" to point to the include
> !     directory for the freewais distribution.  Precompiled libraries are
> !     available for many platforms if you don't wish to compile one yourself.
>
>   Step 6. (Anonymous account -- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! -- )
>       If you are building Lynx for your personal use only you may skip this
> --- 61,71 ----
>       for appending to posted messages.
>
>   Step 5. (optional -- UNIX only)
> !     To add direct WAIS support, get and build the freeWAIS distribution from
> !     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";.  The compile process will
> !     create the libraries you need, wais.a and client.a.  If you use
> autoconf,
> !     set, as needed, the CPPFLAGS (full path to include files) and LIBS (full
> !     path to library files) environment variables before running configure.

Unfortunately, this now gives incorrect information. The only problem
with the previous instructions, is that the step to edit the
makefile should occur after using ./configure. Both Makefile and
WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile need to be edited by hand
after the configure step. I believe that the current wording is correct
and easy to follow.
                                  Doug

__
Doug Kaufman