Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:56:06 -0500 (EST)

> > hierarchy can make - what kinds of parameters are needed, what modes of
> > operation one could think of etc.  With necessary modifications of course,
> > for the program-internal rather than over-the-network case.  Note that
> > HTTP caching is completely based on the style B communication (above).
> > (Squid caches talking ICP with each other are something else.)
> > In libwww 5.2, I find in <>:
> Well, I am highly impressed with libwww 5.2,
> it was completely rewritten and now the code clean and well documented

otoh, using it would require rewriting large chunks of lynx - since
lynx and the libwww have diverged.
> I am not optimistic in moving Lynx to libwww 5.2 -
> although they are mutually similar there are lots of differences
> (chartrans implementation, for example), this is a long-standing work
> for guru. Also new libwww have a different documentations/comments style:
> lynx's code looks hairy but self-documented (some how).

yes. that, the integration with local filesystems (Fote made some comments
about the dired mode).  It probably doesn't port well - the impression I
get is that it's not well tested outside of GNU C and make.
> Is it possible to implement a _part_ of new libwww,
> its HTTP/1.1 core including cache ?

You would probably have to restructure the existing lynx, move the newer
(Lynx-specific or enhanced) functions out of libwww and align the remaining
libwww with the libwww 5.  That's a lot of work.

Thomas E. Dickey