lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "L"-page: PLEASE add "titles" too

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "L"-page: PLEASE add "titles" too
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:11:14 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Wed Nov 18 03:12:48 1998
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:11:28 -0600 (CST)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
<snip>

> Ok, it wasn't clear to me before what you wanted.  So you want something
> that looks like the history page?
>
> > I'm saying that an option to have BOTH would be a real win.
>
> You can't have the title unless lynx already has already seen it recently.
> (In the same session.  Unless someone adds a "permanent history list".)
> So some entries could have tho lines, and others one line.
>
> > QUESTION: does ANYONE ELSE think they'd find this useful?
>
> Personally, I don't. :)
> I just haven't missed it. And it means that less links fit on one page.
> So I won't make a patch for it.  But if you can convince someone else,
> it shouldn't be too difficult to change LYList.c to do what you want
> (since the function calls to get the title and addres are already there).

No, not so like the history page: addr on the left, and on the SAME
line, the title, out to the right.   to either wrap or truncate on
a narrow screen.

Why:

We have all the TITLES, in plain text, even highlighted, on the
main page.  So those while important, are less important.

It is the ADDRESSES that we do NOT have, in plain text, on
the displayed html page.  Sure, in advanced mode we can
see the ONE address the cursor happens to be "at", but
there is NO way, other than the L page, to see a PATTERN of
addresses, eg 80% from www.foo.edu -- other than to Print
the page, suck it into vi, search for /^References:/, and see them
there.

I myself find the L page INVALUABLE, as a way to tell me "about"
the links from the current page.

All I want is two things:

1) the addr at the left (not the title, as sometimes appears
   not INSTEAD of the addr, with no clue as to what the addr
   is)

2) AND the title too, appended out to the right.  Perhaps there
   could be a .cfg-option that says "maximum screen-width for
   printing the L-page title on a second line indented under
   the address -- wider than that, and it gets appended, ie whole
   thing takes only ONE (wide) line",

   Which klaus would set to eg 80, and those of us who want it
   to NEVER take a 2nd line would use 9000 or something, making
   it ALWAYS append the title, regardless of how wide the whole
   thing got.

I am surprised no one finds this L-page feature
(title appended somehow) useful.  Maybe no one but me
even uses the L page?

David