lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:36:57 -0500 (EST)

> David Combs wrote:
>
> Before even starting, I would like to point out to David that I was
> trying to provide an impartial summary of past arguments, not presenting
> my own position.
>
> > >   Con:
> > >
> > >     - would add to the complexity of Lynx
> > Huh?
>
> Caching is complex, tricky business.  When this gets implemented we'll
> surely see dozens of related bugs, for years afterwards.

We might get lucky (stumble across a good/elegant fix), but in general,
I'm in agreement here.  If I thought it were simple, I'd have looked into
it myself.  (But frankly, there's sections of the code that are a little
hard to follow - not by far the worst I've seen, but enough...)

Technical issues aside - once we get into changing that aspect of the
design, there'll be a lot of discussion pro/con on _how_ to trigger
cache flushing.  Look at partial display, which is probably simpler
to implement and understand.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden