lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev some proposed nit fixes in lynx.cfg

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev some proposed nit fixes in lynx.cfg
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 12:08:40 -0800 (PST)

Many changes here go from correct grammar to less correct
formulations. I believe that following changes should not be
implemented. I made a few alternate suggestions. I didn't check for
tab characters. I would hope that the file would be filtered through
expand before it becomes final. Overall, this seems like a good
attempt to increase clarity.
                               Doug

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> --- lynx.cfg-dist     Fri Nov  6 09:29:41 1998
> +++ lynx.cfg-new      Sat Nov  7 11:07:49 1998
> -# trailing white space will be trimmed, and a single space added by Lynx
> +# trailing white space will be trimmed, and a single space is added by Lynx
> -# their actual URL's.  See the sample jumps files in the samples
> +# their actual URL's.  See the jumps files in the lynx*/samples
> -# Additional, alternate jumps files can be defined and mapped to
> +# Additional alternate jumps files can be defined and mapped to
> -# CHARACTER_SET defines the display character set, i.e., that assumed to be
> +# CHARACTER_SET defines the display character set, i.e., assumed to be

The following need to be "Raw (CJK)" rather than "Raw CJK"

> +# Raw CJK mode may be toggled by user via '@' (LYK_RAW_TOGGLE) key,
> +# the -raw command line switch or from the 'o'ptions menu.
>  #
> -# Raw mode effectively changes the charset assumption about unlabeled
> +# Raw CJK mode effectively changes the charset assumption about unlabeled

More lines that shouldn't be changed.

> -# that cpXXX codepages used by IBM PC compatible computers, and windows-xxxx
> -# used by native MS-Windows apps.  We also note that cpXXX pages rerely found
> -# on Internet but mostly for local needs on DOS.
> +# the cpXXX codepages used by IBM PC compatible computers, and windows-xxxx
> +# used by native MS-Windows apps.  We also note that cpXXX pages rarely are
> -# the sending of an unacceptable response is also allowed." (RFC2068)
> +# the sending of an unacceptable response is also allowed.  See RFC2068.
> -# changed here.  Each prefix will be used with each suffix, in order,
> +# replaced here.  Each prefix will be used with each suffix, in order,
> -# use the screen size.
> +# use of the screen size.
> -# Local execution links and scripts are completely disabled
> -# in the source code unless they are enabled in the
> -# userdefs.h file and the sources recompiled.  Please
> -# see the Lynx source code distribution and the userdefs.h
> +# Local execution links and scripts are by default completely disabled
> +# unless a change is made to the userdefs.h file to enabled them.
> +# See the Lynx source code distribution and the userdefs.h

The following is a typo.

> +# DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE set to TRUE indicates numbers act as arrows,
> +# and set to FALSE indicates numbers refer to numbered links on the patge.
                                                                         ^
A suggested change:

> -# DEFAULT_BOOKMARK_FILE is a default filename for use as a personal
> -# bookmark file.  It will reference a file from the user's home directory.
> +# DEFAULT_BOOKMARK_FILE is the filename used for storing personal bookmarks.
> +# It will be prepended by the user's home directory.

I think that this might be better as "It must be specified relative to
the user's home directory"

> -#       an unknown editor that they can't get out of.  Users can
> +#       an unknown editor that they can't exit.  Users can

This might be better as "an unknown editor from which they can't exit"

The following line has a typo

>  # uploader definition sets.  Uploaders may be any program
                                                     ^^^^^^^
This should be "programs"

> -# that could be useful to your users, they do not necessarily
> -# have to be an upload protocol program. The most common use
> +# that could be useful to your users; they do not necessarily
> +# have to be an upload protocol program.  The most common use
                                   ^^^^^^^
This should be "have to be upload protocol programs."

More lines that should not be changed:

> -# seeking a valid '-->' terminator (note that white space can be present
> +# seeking a valid '-->' terminator (white space can be present
>  # between the '--' and '>' in valid terminators).  The compilation default

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)
          address@hidden