lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Win32

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Win32
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:28:28 -0500 (EST)

981103 Loh Sin Jin wrote:
> I have downloaded Lynx for Windows 95/98 from the web-site
> <http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm>.  However, when I start Lynx,
> it displays "Making http connection to lynx.browser.org"
> then "Alert! Unable to connect to remote host".
> Then the dos box in Windows closes on its own.

you need to specify a local file as your starting file in  lynx.cfg :
eg  file://yourdir/bookmark.file  (whatever the correct name for it);
you may have to fiddle with the slashes a bit to get it right:
check in  lynx.cfg  & at  doslynx .
alternatively, you can specify a remote site you KNOW will be active,
eg a local university department.