lynx-dev

Re: SLang, color, and bold (was Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: SLang, color, and bold (was Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 05:38:13 -0500 (EST)

> If I understand what you're saying, I don't think that's
> what I'm seeing.  I build with SLang, and use the TeraTerm
> emulator, set to VT100.

that's one emulator (I've looked at a dozen or so - haven't made a list - yet)

> So it seems to me that combining blink with color *does* do
> something different than either alone.  Maybe the
> command-line flags have nothing to do with what you're
> discussing, or maybe I'm using a busted implementation of
> ... something?  Or maybe, for this purpose, emulator !=
> terminal.  Beats me.

We can argue over this all day - but for every terminal emulator that you
can find that implements blink as a variant of bold (or uses bold to map in
a different color), I think that I can (with some work ;-) find one that
doesn't.  Terminfo has a flag to tell the curses application which
combinations _don't_ work; it's there for a reason (and while testing
various emulators, I find some of the combinations, and update the terminfo
as needed).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden