lynx-dev

lynx-dev blind user needs Win/SSL (was less meaningful)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev blind user needs Win/SSL (was less meaningful)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:58:21 -0500 (EST)

981025 Jessica Arnold wrote:
> I am totally blind & would like to make a version of Lynx for Win 95
> that supports ssl.  I am a US citizen.
> I don't understand why someone cannot make a copy
> and put a form on a Web page for people to fill out
> like Microsoft and Netscape do.

the problem is a combination of US export laws & Lynx freeware copyright.

> I am not a programmer.
> Either would someone privately lead me through the steps
> or someone file attach a version of lynx with SSL support.

there's a good account of what to do at
  http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jeffwong/lynxstuff/SSL/index.html .

there's a section in Lynx Help for Beginners for blind users:
goto  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .

> I would like it to be version 2.8 or higher.

version 2-8-1 has just been released:
you can get it from  http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ .

you may get more answers -- i changed the Subject to attract them -- ,
but this much should hopefully get you started.
don't hesitate to ask again here if you have problems.

Philip Webb : address@hidden
Centre for Urban & Community Studies
University of Toronto