lynx-dev

lynx-dev News (nntp) urls in lynx 2.8.1pre.10 and pre.11, SSL

From: David R. Conrad
Subject: lynx-dev News (nntp) urls in lynx 2.8.1pre.10 and pre.11, SSL
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

I recently switched to lynx2.8.1pre.10 from lynx2.8.1dev.14 and news and
nntp urls no longer work for me (and I just patched my way up to pre.11
and the problem persists).  NNTPSERVER is set in /etc/profile and has not
been changed recently and has worked in the past with both lynx and rtin.

When I select a news: link, or enter an nntp: url, I get no response at
all.  The status line (I use lynx in advanced mode) seems to briefly flash
to the url of the page I'm on and the back to whatever it was.  This all
happens in the blink of an eye.  I tried entering an nntp: url because I
thought lynx might not be reading the environment variable properly, but
no dice (same result).  I tried starting it in the following manner:
NNTPSERVER=nntp.adni.net lynx
but still got no results.

I also tried an nntp url with the newsserver of a local university where I
have "no permission to talk" and lynx still did nothing.  Here's the url:

nntp://news2.acs.oakland.edu/alt.mythology

and here is a telnet session:

~~$ telnet news2.acs.oakland.edu nntp
Trying 141.210.10.152...
Connected to news2.acs.oakland.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
502 You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I assume lynx should at least have shown me the 502 message.

Is news support broken in this prerelease?  Did I need to do something
special when configuring it to enable news support?

My system is linux-2.1.124 with libc5 and using egcs-1.1b (gcc version
egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release)) as a compiler; I linked against
ncurses-4.2.980228, zlib-1.1.3, and ssleay-0.9.0b (which I had some
trouble with, see below).

Here is a copy of a message I sent to the ssl-users mailing list:

- From address@hidden Fri Oct 23 14:19:10 1998