lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx for DOS

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx for DOS
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jim Habegger wrote:

> I'm trying to set up lynx on a 486DX with 8MB RAM, Windows 3.1, and a
> dial-up internet service with Windows software. I couldn't find a
> Windows 3.1 version of Lynx on the Web, so I downloaded lynx_386.zip
> and unzipped it and now I'm totally lost. The readme says I need a
> packet driver. I have no idea what a packet driver is or how to get
> one that will work with my setup. I've been to
> http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/ and followed links in all directions,
> and I'm just going in circles. Also, I can't figure out if I have to
> have cp.exe or not, and if so how to get it.

The lynx386 binaries need to be run from DOS, rather than windows.
They won't work in a DOS window. There are 3 different packages of
lynx for DOS, each with its own hints on how to set this up. Some
are more complete as far as the helper applications go. You might
want to look at blynx or the package from my site (links to both from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm). The blynx package is
fairly complete. Mine gives links to the additional programs you need
to download. You may find the batch files and readme files helpful
in getting started. The packet driver used is generally the DOSPPP
program. See the file LYNXBAT.BAT in my distribution for an ideas
about how to get it all to work together.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)