lynx-dev

RE: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor tags

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: RE: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor tags
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:08:56 -0700

Bruno Prior wrote:

> And what happens when the URL containing these filenames and fieldnames
> passes through a network which strips the eighth bit? Remember, on the
> internet you have very little control over routing. If you have
> file/directory names containing non-ASCII characters, it would seem prudent,
> if annoying, to alias or link ASCII-only names to them.
>
> As a European, I hate the 7-bit/ASCII restriction, even though, as a Brit, I
> am relatively unaffected by it. But we live in the real world, which means
> that we have to live with this  restriction.
>
> > Roy Fielding's latest opus on URI syntax was only allowed to go
> > forward with the current character restrictions because Larry
> > Masinter is hard on its heels with i18n drafts.
>
> It would be great if we could do away with this restriction. Does this mean
> that all networks are going to be required to go 8-bit? Or is this old-hat
> and they've all gone that way already?

The Internet Protocol (IP) is inherently 8-bit.  You will not find an
HTTP server or client which strips HTTP object data to 7 bits.  The
whole 7- vs. 8-bit encoding mess for email is because some *email*
transfer protocols strip the 8th bit.  Even those are pretty rare today,
but we get to live with all that uu-, quoted-printable-, and MIME-
encoding garbage forever.