lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx on a minimal Linux

From: RHS Linux User
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx on a minimal Linux
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.
I am trying to configure a small Linux system that features Lynx very heavily.
I am doing a umsdos proto-distro on which Lynx may be 20% of the data in the zip
file. I intend to use Lynx as the primary interface to all local help,
including e.g. the manpages.
The system is a 2.0.35 Linux kernel patched for Microchannel, libc 5.4.44, and
other Slackware-type stuff. I have curses and ncurses .

Lynx is being very stubborn. If I just move the executable from a Linux
partition to the umsdos partition and do    lynx /   I get...

A Fatal error has ocured in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2...

If I try to build Lynx on the umsdos partition ./configure decides my  make
( GNU make 3.77 ) doesn't have include capability. I remade make on the umsdos
partition without using make to no avail.

Now I'm trying to build Lynx without make. This is A: to have Lynx, and B: to
be aware of what will build on this Linux configuration, and C: make is one of
my least favorite GNU utils, being a horrible example of redundant
functionality.

Any tips????????????????????

In the off chance that you're curious about what I'm actually doing to not use
the provided conveniences, I have all the .h files or links to them in
lynx-2.8/src, and I am hoping to link with libwww.a built on the Linux native
partition, where ./configure worked. I get all tho .o files, but trying to
ld -o LYNX *.o /lib/libcurses.so.1 /lib/libc.so libwww.a

gives lots of
undefined reference to `__waddbytes`
                       `lynx_edit_mode`
                        `dir_list_style`
in GridText.o and a couple other files.

Admittedly, this is really bad practice, but if I could pull it off I'd be
in a position to really show off Lynx.
I've been at this for days now. ANY tips are massively welcome.

lynx /proc  !

Rick Hohensee          http://cqi.com/~humbubba
colorg on EFnet IRC    #linux chanop
Forth  C   Linux   Perl graphics   music    Md., USA
This is your brain on colorg --> (@address@hidden() <---~~~_()()(
Any questions?