lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx.cfg COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS nit

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx.cfg COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS nit
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:18:58 -0700

I was all set to register one last protest against the <BR> tag
handling in the current (dev25) development version, when I
was inspired to actually try it and see what does occur.

As a result, I'm now satisfied to say that correct handling
is available, and downgrade from rant to document quibble.

The lynx.cfg entry for the <BR> option says:

# If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR tags.
# Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in HTML is via a PRE
# If set TRUE, two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a single
# blank line.  Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in HTML
# is via a PRE block with only newlines in the block.

In passing, the second line needs deleting, but my quibble
is with "two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a
single blank line".  That sounds to me like this (with the
option set FALSE):

Text<BR><BR>More text

should yield:

Text

More text

ie, with a blank line, but actually the rendering is the
correct, non-blank-lined:

Text
More text

Hence, I suggest changing "single blank line." to "single
line break.", assuming "line break" is the proper term.

Ta,

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>