lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Pb with Lynx and Proxy

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Pb with Lynx and Proxy
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:38:28 +0100 (BST)

> I use Lynx 2-8 on Unix system.
> I use FTP over HTTP through a proxy.
> So, when the proxy is CERN-HTTPD 3.0A (Unix system) -> it works fine
> but, when the proxy is CSM Proxy Server 4.0 (W95 system) -> it doesn't
> work !

Both CERN (which defined the de facto standard for proxies before the
protocol was formalised) and Squid, the most common serious proxy,
work with Lynx.  I think that your problem is a political one, i.e. an
inappropriate use of a Windows client machine to do a job capably done
by Unix server machines.  (Incidentally 3.0A is the W3C one, as the
World Wide Web Consortium have take over from CERN.)

To further debug this, we would need the HTML source returned by the
proxy.  However, if you are able to put it on a publically accessible
web site or ftp site, you should first run http://validator.w3.org/
against it, or you could follow the links from there to obtain nsgmls
and validate it yourself locally.  The chances are that there is a
malformed comment, which you can also check by using the two broken
comments modes in Lynx.