lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev internal links

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internal links
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 09:58:57 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Doug Kaufman said:

> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:14:10 -0700 (PDT)
>
> On the other hand, unless sendmail is configured to verify validity of
> headers, anyone with a shell account can send mail with misleading
> headers (just look at the volume of spam with inaccurate headers). One

Well said.  Lynx should protect the administrator's interests for
captive accounts; for shell accounts, either the necessary protection
is configured in sendmail or Lynx can do nothing -- I can send
anything I want simply by piping into sendmail.  Fix the
weaknesses for captive use; ignore them for shell.

BTW, is Henry willing at least to disclose whether the weakness
found exists for captive accounts?  I couldn't discover it by
casual experimentation, nor by a quick reading of LYMail.c

-- gil