lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:16:56 -0700

Philip Webb wrote:
> 980903 David Combs wrote:
> > This code:  who—he's my boss—who runs
> > comes out as  who-he's my boss-who runs .
> > maybe we should show it as "--" or, even better, as " -- ".
>
> yes, i've noticed this regularly in one newspaper (Washington Post?).
> you're right, it should be ` -- ': that's correct secretarial style.
>
> and while we're on it, Lynx should write  2  spaces after a full stop:
> that's also professional secretarial practice.

I don't think that lynx should be in the business of correcting
punctuational errors/preferences when it comes to text presented on the
web -- I'd much prefer to leave that to the whim of the author.

At the least, it should be a compile-time definition, IMO.

--
"We have no clue." -Delrish Moss, Miami PD
"Very few profundities can be expressed in less than 80 characters." -anon