lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-hel

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:06:03 +0100

(28/08/1998 11:26) David Combs:

>Could you please explain what you mean by "marking files is a
>known trick..."?  What does "marking" mean?
>
>"Touching" (unix) I understand (for make).
>
>I think you might know some trick that I do not know (there are
>a lot of those that I do not know, but like knowing them, and
>learning more of them), so please do explain.

Here is a part of the text from 'lynx.man'. As you see it contains
'address@hidden', i.e it is physically typed in.

.SH NOTES
This is the Lynx v2.8 Release
.PP
If you wish to contribute to the further development
of \fILynx\fR, subscribe to our mailing list.  Send email to
<address@hidden> with "subscribe lynx-dev" as the only line
in the body of your message.

In a 'marked' varsion (well, can be called something else. This is the
first place I am discussing it so I just invented the word 'marking'
:-)) it will look like this:

<@LYNX_LIST_HOST@> with "subscribe lynx-dev" as the only line

You have to do this for all text files. When _installing_ things, then
some sh script commands will convert @LYNX_LIST_HOST@ to whatever
the value given which will be defined in only _one_place. In our case it
is (will be) help_files.txt. If I simplify the 'sh script commands' it
will look like this:

<from help_files.txt>
address@hidden

sed -e 's%\(.*\)=\(address@hidden)address@hidden@=\2=%g' help_files.txt >
help_files.sed

        meaning: create another sed command (which is stored in
        help_files.sed) that will do the real convertion i.e:
                address@hidden@address@hidden

then

sed -f help_files.sed lynx.man > $(mandir)/lynx.1

will install it (ps: 'lynx.man' is not marked yet).

Above is just part of the convertion. It differs for 'http:' and 'help
files'. I explained the format of `marking' in help_files.txt which will
be available in dev.23.

This is a known trick because you don't want to write some difficult
code to put the directory name of the installation into man pages.
Instead it is done in makefile with, as I said, zero coding. Besides, if
you want to give the _default_ place of the configuration file (which
will differ if the installation is done by normal user) in the manual
page; e.g our earlier problem of "where is lynx.cfg installed". If we
add a section 'FILES' in lynx.man and mark the default place of lynx.cfg
as '@DEFAULT_LYNX_CFG_FILE@' then 'man lynx' will show the correct
place.

I hope it is clear now.

Sinan.