lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Zipped help (was Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Zipped help (was Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes to internal pages)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:11:50 +0900 (JST)

> > What if the gzipped help were a configure option?  You may not
> > be the only person with a quota.
>
> Sure.  If you could put the internal links in the "html.gz" form
> via config option or whatever, then people could just specify
[...]

I've been gzipping the help files for a long time.  The first time
required (for me) pretty much manual substitutions throughout the
help tree, but since then for about two years now, I just patch on
automatically using a shell script one "diff -c" file that I keep
updating (reason I never use "make install-help").  It's shamefully
out of date now, but I used to offer:
        http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/README.help

Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear or not, but just a patch
on some server should serve the whole Lynx community very well.

Maybe in the future Tom or Jim or someone will have the time to work
in a configure option to apply the patch and gzip the files.  Perhaps
the option could even be automatically switched on with --with-zlib.

__Henry