lynx-dev

lynx-dev LYNX: really do need a "goto" (+ current "pushj" via "g")

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: really do need a "goto" (+ current "pushj" via "g")
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 11:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I'll keep suggesting this forever -- we really
do need a way to "go to" some url WITHOUT ADDING TO THE STACK,
ie via merely REPLACING the top guy on the stack.

(Better yet, a way, on the history page, to go-via-killing-top-seg-of-stack,
to a lower place on stack)

Reason this time:

Now that alta-vista has labeled its "next" (set of search results)
with ">>" (instead of only via the word next), it now becomes easier
to go through page after page of their search results, via "/ >>" the
first time, then "n(ext)" from then on.

But of course the results stack up and up and up, so to get back
to where you were BEFORE you did your "v" to get your bookmarks
and clicked on alta-vista (my first one), you have to "h" (vikeys)
back and back and back and back and back, and probably after a while
the cache runs out and it re-downloads these pages all you want to
is back up through -- to get to where you were BEFORE the "v" --
and then to before that, and before that (which backups you DO want
to see and continue with).

Just a simple command, workable on ONLY the history page, to
pop the stack down to eg item number xxx (with perhaps confirmation
like:
    you want to pop off 9 items (maybe even showing them)
    and item yyy (showing it)
    be the top of the stack.  Yes?
for safety)

would be SUCH a help.  If only I were a C-programmer, I'd do
the darn thing myself.  Popping that stack just has to be
trivial, eg top = top - 9.

Does ANYONE but me need this?

(Yeah, I know, I could just GROW the stack, by re-going
to a place way down in the stack -- but THAT becomes a pain
when I want to "back up" from that -- that is, do the ORIGINAL
back up, and THAT TOO is buried way down in the stack, meaning
I have to do another history page, study it, ie look for a matach
(match) from the top down in the middle, and actively GO TO
the place just below THAT one -- etc, etc, etc.  WHAT A PAIN.

"My kingdom for not a horse, but a top = way-below stmt"!
)

David