lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx-Editor problem

From: Roving Reporter
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx-Editor problem
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:17:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'm new to the list. I have a local problem that the support
people refuse to help me with because they think it's my
problem, not theirs. It's a SunOS system (that's Unix, for
those who don't know) and I've verified that I have a vt100
terminal. TERM and TERMCAP variables are identified correctly
(well, at least they're there when I type "printenv" and the
"TERM" is right.)

The problem is, in Lynx, I cannot spawn any editor to reply to
an e-mail address in a webpage. First a really quick message pops
up saying "unknown terminal type vt100." And then it says: "error
spawning editor, check your editor definitions in the options menu"
Then I'm asked if I want to send the comment. I've tested it over
and over and all it will send the headers with the subject line.

I *used* to have my own configuration file and a pointer to it in my
login, but our Pine was upgraded to the 4.02 version and I was having
problems with the addressbook (when trying to update it) exiting
with arithmetic memory problems so I (rather hastily I admit) deleted
my own lynx.cfg and the text that was in the login which pointed to it,
(thinking that maybe I had the memory problem...) and now I'm rather
vexed at both them (for having configuration problems in the first place)
and myself. I found and looked at the system configuration file and they
don't specify any editor, either default *or* system. I have "pico"
specified in my .lynxrc file. Using a different editor did not fix the
problem. I'm wondering, if they put in a "default" editor, would this
problem go away?

This is what support told me when I complained about their setup:
Dear Customer,

While we supply shell access and shell programs, we do not offer
technical support at the level you are requesting.  You may find
assistance from other users in the cnc.inet newsgroup.
cnc.inet has been very quiet lately, and I haven't gotten any
response there either.
* Therese Shellabarger      -     address@hidden *
* http://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/   Shalom chaverot! *
* See Deaf Expo at http://www.deafexpo.org/              *