lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx-Feedback

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx-Feedback
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:39:39 -0400 (EDT)

980730 Hans-Joachim Gurt wrote:
> I use Lynx Version 2.8rel.2 with FreeBsd 2.2.6 & have a few suggestions:

ok, first: Lynx programmers are all volunteers,
who write code in their spare time when something catches their fancy,
so if you have any skill in C programming -- it needn't be much --
feel encouraged to try implementing your own suggestions
& send patches in to lynx-dev for evaluation by the Lynx community.

> Header for saved file -- With "Print/Save to a local file"
> an option to append eg URL & date at the beginning of the file.

seems like a good idea, which hasn't been suggested before; probably easy.

> Bookmarks -- (1) shorten the template for the beginning of each file;
> -- (2) when I remove a Bookmark with `r' the screen-display is messed up:
> this does not happen when I edit the file & delete a line by hand;
> -- (3) update Bookmark-Entries without messy editing.

the bookmark file is a known delicate bit of Lynx:
the only reliable way to make alterations is with a text editor
& even then you have to be careful not to change more than URLs & text,
incl deleting an entry: `r' is not reliable;
if you want to try improving things, feel free to have a go,
but otherwise no-one else has felt it important enough in the past.

> -- (4) add Bookmark-Entries for ftp: only the directory-name is saved:
> it would be better to include the hostname or complete URL.

this seems to be a new problem: are you sure this is the case?

> -- (5) Multi-bookmarks: make it easier to move entries between files,
> for splitting an old Default Bookmark File.

probably too much work: you can use an editor reasonably easily.

> Download tagged files in ftp directories.

another new one which might be worth the effort to implement.

> [INLINE], [LINK] etc : show more info for them.

there is an option -- maybe in  lynx.cfg  or  userdefs.h  -- to do this.