lynx-dev

lynx-dev Old timer dieases - is lynx becoming too outdated?

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: lynx-dev Old timer dieases - is lynx becoming too outdated?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:22:10 -0400

I understand how wonderful lynx is.  I've been using lynx for a very
long time now.  I understand about lynx's usefulness and critical needs
for telnet users, character mode terminal users, folks with sight
limitations, etc.

However, I am wondering if lynx is falling behind the times so fast that
it no longer is fair to advertise it as a general web interface.  Perhaps
lynx's limits need to mentioned up front in the docs and web page - sort
of like the various 'truth in advertising' laws various countries have.

Some of the limitations or short falls to which I refer are:

o limited handling of form text areas - treats lines parameter as max
instead of minimum

o current release only experimental support for ability to handle forms
with file upload ability

o full style sheet handling not yet handled - and limited style sheet
handling still not consistently handled.

o embedded scripting languages such as javascript and java still not handled

o limited table handling causes tables to be dificult to read

I suspect there are other limits that I have forgotten about or of which
I am unaware .

I am certainly not suggesting that folk quit using or working on lynx.  But
perhaps if users were aware of the limits, as well as the supported features,
then they might be more able to determine whether they were interested in
trying lynx before downloading and attempting to build it.