lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev editing forms (was forms)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev editing forms (was forms)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:40:02 +0900 (JST)

> I thought the last time this was discussed someone was going to investigate
> adding the feature, but disabling it for anonymous setups.  We already have

Exactly.  If you use the -anonymous switch on the command line, then
external editors, dired, etc. should be turned off in all situations
for anonymous users.  Period.

I'll rant on since I do operate an public access Lynx.  I started it
out of my utter appreciation to Fote for making Lynx available to
our school which had nothing.  And I mean NOTHING.  As long as I am
able, I pledge to keep it going because anyone in the world should
have the right to at least touch the world of Lynx.
        telnet://ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp    (login: "lynx")

The minute, though, that Lynx becomes a dangerous liability, then
I will have to stop.  You cannot believe the clowns and abusers that
log in.  If they got loose, who knows what.

I have only enough space for one binary, and only enough time
to maintain one binary.  Everyone uses the one Lynx no matter where
they log in from.  My students have access to _all_ of the Lynx
features because they can run it from the command line.  Anonymous
users have a predetermined command line with -anonymous, -verify,
-restrictions, etc.

The idea that account holders and anonymous users can't share Lynx
in their respective appropriate capacities is utter rubbish.  That's
just one more area where Lynx has strengh.

__Henry