lynx-dev

lynx-dev LYNX: suggestion: temp resetting col-widths?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: suggestion: temp resetting col-widths?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

I run lynx with columns set to 132; really nice, gets
lots on screen at once, to read, before having to
hit space to wake up ISP (shell acct) to send me next
page ("more" type page).

However, I often see something that I want to email to
someone, or append to a file I email to someone,
and for that I want the ncols back at 79 or so.

Also if I want to download and print it 9-point in two
columns on laser printer.

Here's what I do now:

I "P"rint it to file t5, overriding it.

Then vi t5, removing some junk, all references
after first two or so.

THEN, I do 1,$-5!fmt to get it 80 wide, then
"x" (undocumented vi-feature, does w if necessary,
then q).  (that's :x)

---

However, comes out nicer if Lynx does the reformatting instead
of the !fmt (BTW, got email re better paragraphing scheme
that I will test soon, "Par", from berkeley).

So, what I do for that is:

^Z
nowide  (alias for setting columns to 79)
fg
^R
"P"rint (to t5)
etc.

But I have to reset (via alias "wide") the screen-size,
else via my communications and shell account etc
vi doesn't display right any more (since my screen
IS 132chars wide -- I find that vi screws up if out of
synch with that, somehow).

---

Anyway, for all this hassle, would be nice if there
was a LYNX command (or macro) that let me do a
ONCE-ONLY redisplay at a different number of cols.

Maybe even via the "P"rint menu?  Since that is the
sole purpose for this -- to get it out into a file,
but narrower, and "professionally" reformatted, via LYNX.

That is, I don't have to actually SEE the narrow output
while in lynx -- just reformatting and writing that directly
to the file would be perfect.

----

Would this be useful to anyone besides me?