lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Scripting LYNX to follow links

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Scripting LYNX to follow links
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

> T.E.Dickey wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, but that doesn't solve my problem.  I want the generic
> > > capability of being able to navigate web pages (and fill in forms)
> > > from a script without knowing the underlying URL of a link apriori,
> > > as you did in your counter-example.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > not really - it would be a moderate amount of work to implement
> > keystroke recording and replay, from which you could construct
> > scripts.
>
> Actually, I don't need keystroke recording, only replay or equivalent.

I mentioned recording since that's usually associated for various reasons.

The easy way to implement this is by changing the code that calls getch to
a function that can read from a file.  But it can't simply read w/o
interpretation, since getch returns key-symbols (not just characters), so
things like arrow keys have to be interpreted by the code that reads from
the file.

When I've implemented this sort of thing before, I've done it by making the
reader interpret from a printable version of the script, and constructing a
writer so that I can easily generate scripts in the same form.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden