lynx-dev

lynx-dev Dos-Lynx 0.8 (was: [ no useful subject ])

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Dos-Lynx 0.8 (was: [ no useful subject ])
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 12:24:28 +0100 (BST)

> Dear Sir,

Actually there is no one person responsible for Lynx.

> I've tried to use Dos_Lynx v0.8 on a 386/16MHz Wang machine, using a HP NC16

Do you really mean DOSLYNX.  It is obsolete and will not work at all with
many sites (e.g. the virtual sites run by PSI in the UK).

If you mean the recent ports of Unix/VMS Lynx to run under DJGPP, read on,
otherwise fetch one of those (version 2.8 should be current).

> (J2405A)LAN adapter and ne2100.com as packet driver. I have configured
> Dos_Lynx, but all I get is an error mesage:Could not load URL. Can you tell
> me what's happening?

Not without more detail, such as the URL attempted, and the trace log (t
on the current Lynx).

> Other WIN 3.1 aplications (e-mail, ftp) are working fine, but Netscape is

Any DOS packet driver application will not co-exist with winsock on the
same device without a lot of technical hassle (and even then the
documentation for PKTMUX, which you would need, warns that it can never
work particularly reliably).

> very slow; that is why I'd try to use Dos_Lynx. Telnet to the UNIX server is

You probably need to go to Win 95, to allow the use of the Win32 ports of Lynx,
or run a pure DOS system (Win 3.1 ports have been discussed and it may be
worth checking the archive to see if any got produced).

See other recent articles for the main Lynx web sites.