lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Internet by Mac.

From: Ulrich Hausmann
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Internet by Mac.
Date: 17 Jun 98 09:58:34 +0200

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:

>I am seeking experience and advice on Internet software for a SE
>with (I believe) 2 Meg of main memory and OS version 6.0.3.
>
>This includes networking software, Lynx, Email.
>
>Any leads: specifics, FAQ pointers, newsgroup pointers, whatever
>will be gratefully accepted.  I will want to be bringing all this
>up with Microphone (a modem program) for downloading at 2400 baud.

Al,

with 2 MB ram it's possibly difficult - can you afford 2 additional MBs? :)
- because may be you have to stay with OS 6.0.8 or so and I don't know how
much they support web related programs. I prepared a simple Mac Classic for
my dad as mail machine - and it works nicely. So, here comes my 2 c

- get ProTERM as terminal program. Yes, it's commercial but it's by far the
best available for a Mac. It can handle TCP/IP and includes  a neat macro
set called ProTerm Message Manager which includes a nice mail client for
most services including POP3-SMTP. (Look at http://www.intrec.com, I think
they're giving free and fully working demos).

- for web browsing I used MacWEB 1.0 (also 2.0, which is better but a bit
buggy) works and also MacLynx. But attention: Set it up before on a Mac
with 640x480 screen because it does not fit to the 9" screen of the SE (and
I didn't see any way to make it from there).

- the biggest problem for me was getting work a TCP/IP connection tool.
Neither MacPPP nor FreePPP (the latter was claimed to do it, but it didn't
at least for me) worked on the Classic (=68000 machine). Finally, I tried
MacSLIP which comes with Eudora and contains a PPP transporter function: it
works great (and it's even MacEvents aware, like OT/PPP).

HTH

Ulrich